Please redirect your future reading to my new consolidated blog. I will phase out both of my blogspot blogs in favor of the new site. Please be patient with the simple structure. I hope to expend my layout to be much more visually appealing as time goes on. Thanks for your readership!
Sunday, March 15, 2015
As many of you know, Steve an Ginny have been on an extended tour of Central and South America in there diminutive and highly modified SeaPearl 21 for the last four years. Many of us have enjoy there blog posts and Steve's serialized and well written reports in Small Craft Advisor magazine during this time.
Steve and Ginny spent nearly a year with me while the built the modifications for Thurston. It has therefore been with a special and fond (and proud) feeling that I have followed there exploits and adventures.
Sadly, those adventures ended rather catastrophically on the north coast of Hispaniola where a rogue wave pitch-poled Thurston, destroying her masts and sails. At least it was mostly over and importantly, Ginny and George were already home in Bremerton, Washington.
That was in January. After settling in with his aging mother, Steve, Ginny and George were ready to come back to Georgia and collect their car and trailer. Steve offered me the trailer as there was no more Thurston to ride on it. I thought of a better solution and now he is re-purposing Embers Watch, Bill Moffitt's Mikes Boat which I was supposed to rehab long ago.
I feel confident that Embers Watch has found a good home. Bill came over today and met with Steve giving him some tips on rigging.
Thursday, January 29, 2015
It is a thing of beauty. Note how the gas strut holds the rudder up and down!
A detail of the gas strut holding the rudder in the up position
Gas strut holding rudder in the kick-up for obstruction position. Hauling up gently on the pennant can position the rudder for shallow water as in beach starts. A sharp pull upward brings the rudder in the full upright "not in use" position.
I found these on Amazon for just under $100. They are remarkably beautiful and flawless. I have a set of plastic oar collars coming from CLC.
The rudder from Rudder Craft is coming. Can't wait to see it!
Monday, December 15, 2014
Mounting the freshly cleaned and stitched full battened sails from Sailcare. These sails are absolutely beautiful. Makes the boat all the better buy!
We have our reservation at Cedar Key Sunset RV campground space 41 for April 27-May 4. Looking forward to sailing
Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Merry Christmas ya'll
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
I thought it might be interesting to document our journey through the cleanup and repair of this 1986 model SeaPearl 21
It didn't take much inspection to see the 3/8 inch deep groove in the mast tube worn by the bearing nylon bushings. Mast steps clearly need to be replaced. While they are out, a close inspection of the deck joint will likely show water incursion into the core.
Next I used Tyvek tape to seal the bottom and using thickened epoxy (after dowsing the core with unthickened epoxy) was carefully pressed into the core void mounding it up so as to maintain the epoxy to stay up against the edges.
I used an infrared lamp to help it cure since night time temps fall into the 40's.
After the filler is hardened I took a jigsaw and cut out the hole. The area was cleaned up with a burr head on the drill, a rasp and sandpaper. Everything looked completely sealed.
The finished job should look like this after cleaning up the area with mineral spirits.
I later applied a nice finish margin of 3M-5200 around the joint using my gloved finger to smooth. It all worked out very nicely.
I did the glassing with 2 in fiberglass tape cut half way through at 1 and 1/2 inch intervals the circumference of the mast tube. After abrading and cleaning the tube and deck with acetone I proceeded to glass the tube in with finish resin (wax added per recommendation). I let the tabs meet the deck and the floor while the intact cloth was used to wrap around the tube. I pre-cut all my strips before starting as time is very limited. When the resin was cured (with heaters) I sanded everything and wiped with acetone. I proceeded to add a second layer with tabs staggered for uniform coverage. I plan to use a layer of mat as glassed over the deck joint. These will be 2x4 inch tabs glassed in all around for added strength.
All in all the job turned out quit nicely. Following Jim Leet of Marine Concepts wise advice, I believe I was able to perform a professional repair.
I'll continue my report