Monday, October 7, 2013

It's been a long time since I made an entry on this blog.  We have worked hard all year trying to get Tridarka ready for next year's Cedar Key event. 
The weather just didn't cooperate.  We had so many rainy days we just couldn't finish all the work. 
Then there is the matter of the winter trip on Belle.  It took most of the summer for Marine Concepts to finish painting Belle.  Same problem we had...really poor painting weather. 
Now, Belle is done and absolutely stunningly beautiful.  The job, well it was the best paint job I have ever seen.  Dan did a splendid and may I say, perfect paint-job.  So to Dan and Jim, thanks so much for the new beautiful Belle. 
Now it's time to get ready.  The blog will be active from henceforth.  I plan to leave around November 5.
The current jobs are mostly related to chasing leaks.  There is a tiny leak in the fore-hatch.  It is around the glazing, rather than the gasket.  As the hatch is 20 years old I thought it best to replace it with a new Bowmar series 900.  The hatch was bedded with 3M 5200 which is a permanent bed. So removing it was quite a chore.  The MAP gas torch came into good use softening the hard adhesive.  I still took a couple of chunks of gelcoat. Luckily it was under the rim so I can fill it with epoxy for now.  Next year I plan to pain the deck so it should look fine then.  I have ordered the hatch...$265 worth of it.  Cha-ching.  There goes another big chunk of prep money. 
I did find a very nice product called Anti-Bond that softens up the remaining adhesive so it can be removed without too much strenuous effort.  Once again, the 5 in 1 tool is indispensable for removing both the hatch and the adhesive.  It has to be one of my favorite tools
I have continued to improve the grounding for the ham radio system.  I finally had the nerve to drill through the deck and transfer ground from the bow pulpit/life line system down to the grid of 2 inch copper that circles the boat at the water line and connects as well to the ground plate.  The final solution will be the new Little Tarheel II screwdriver antenna and its compliment, the Turbo Tuner II for automatic tuning 10-80 meters. 
We are postponing our RV trip to Crooked River Campground due to the government shut-down.  Cumberland Island was a big part of our plans so we have decided not to spend money on a trip so very constrained by the closure of Cumberland Island. 
Therefore I am moving the new Icom IC-7100 over into the boat for my trip.  I plan on running APRS as WB4FGF-9 on 30 meters and use 40 and 20 meters for communications.  The radio runs DSTAR as well as 2 meters and 70 CM.  It should be a great addition along with the Tarheel to ham radio operations aboard Belle. 
The trip is going to be rather open ended so as long as the weather is tolerable and I am having fun, I will continue south from Tarpon Springs to as far as the Dry Tortugas (if the government shutdown is over by then).  For sure, I will frequent my old favorites along the Gulf coast of Florida going south. These would include stops at Caladesi Island, Bunces Pass and a leisurely visit to Fort Desoto.  I will continue south with stops at Sarasota and Venice.  I will spend a good deal of time in Charlotte Harbor headquartering at Caya Costa.  I hope to explore the Peace and Myakka rivers and so many other old haunts in the area. 
Enough about what I will do.  Stay tuned for the reports as the visits happen. 
Solar panels drinking in the fall sun. 



No comments:

Post a Comment