Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Shop Gets Put to Good Use

Work around the shop continues.  First we had the sides closed in.  Note the sheets of acrylic panel to let in light.  The workmen at Quickshelters did a fine job!









I brought the old hoist on a trolly idea inside.  I used 12 foot upright 4x4s footed with 4 foot 4x4s to support the crossbeams.  The crossbeams are 18 foot 9 and 1/2 by 1 and 3/4 LVL members which I  bought at the local lumber yard.  They are reinforced by 18 foot 2x4s at a T angle.  The lift is doing itself proud already.
I've been on the lookout for a trailer for Embers Watch and other boats I might need to transport.  (Heaven forbid I bring any more onto the property without thinning the herd).
I pick this trailer up from Craig's list. It needs some serious TLC but the structure is sound all in all. 






Already the lift is coming in very handy as I strip down the trailer and start sandblasting.
After a generous coat of ZRC galvanizing spray, a nice OSHA red adds color to the old trailer.











This project has been waiting for a while.  Now it has to be done so we can use Tridarka at Cedar Key.
The mast track came from C-Tech in New Zealand.  I simply couldn't find a plastic track to replace the old here in the USA.  After marking and cleaning with acetone, I prepped both surfaces with Sika Activator.  I used Sikaflex 252-black to adhere the track.  What a mess!  It spreads like tar and is equally hard to clean up.  I think I have a very good joint.  I am waiting for a whisker pole and clip.  I will attach the clip to the forward side of the mast at the appropriate height with the same Sika 252.  Hopefully downwind sailing in light air will be more pleasant!
Until Cedar Key (the first weekend in May) we will be getting the RV ready to go.  We are in CK countdown mode!



No comments:

Post a Comment