Tuesday, November 18, 2014
I thought it might be interesting to document our journey through the cleanup and repair of this 1986 model SeaPearl 21
It didn't take much inspection to see the 3/8 inch deep groove in the mast tube worn by the bearing nylon bushings. Mast steps clearly need to be replaced. While they are out, a close inspection of the deck joint will likely show water incursion into the core.
Next I used Tyvek tape to seal the bottom and using thickened epoxy (after dowsing the core with unthickened epoxy) was carefully pressed into the core void mounding it up so as to maintain the epoxy to stay up against the edges.
I used an infrared lamp to help it cure since night time temps fall into the 40's.
After the filler is hardened I took a jigsaw and cut out the hole. The area was cleaned up with a burr head on the drill, a rasp and sandpaper. Everything looked completely sealed.
The finished job should look like this after cleaning up the area with mineral spirits.
I later applied a nice finish margin of 3M-5200 around the joint using my gloved finger to smooth. It all worked out very nicely.
I did the glassing with 2 in fiberglass tape cut half way through at 1 and 1/2 inch intervals the circumference of the mast tube. After abrading and cleaning the tube and deck with acetone I proceeded to glass the tube in with finish resin (wax added per recommendation). I let the tabs meet the deck and the floor while the intact cloth was used to wrap around the tube. I pre-cut all my strips before starting as time is very limited. When the resin was cured (with heaters) I sanded everything and wiped with acetone. I proceeded to add a second layer with tabs staggered for uniform coverage. I plan to use a layer of mat as glassed over the deck joint. These will be 2x4 inch tabs glassed in all around for added strength.
All in all the job turned out quit nicely. Following Jim Leet of Marine Concepts wise advice, I believe I was able to perform a professional repair.
I'll continue my report