Friday, April 18, 2014

Woops, Did I Really Do That?


I was so proud having installed the new luff groove so well.  Everything looked just great.
Then I tried putting up the main yesterday.  I have to admit Karen noted that the grove on the new luff was a bit narrower.  'That's a good thing', says I. "Remember how the halyard line used to get trapped in the grove"?  Of course I already fixed that with a block and a thimble.  
So I tried to thread the main.  the first foot or so, just a little tight but doable.  Then comes the first reef with its reinforced cringle.  No go; tighter than "Dick's hat band" to quote my late Dad!"  Tight, tight, too tight!!
Now I have a real problem.  Not a little one, a big one.  
I tried a short piece with a bit in the Dremmel tool.  Too wobbly! "Looks like a guide and a router is needed.  How do I do that," I muse?
Well, I just happen to have a very good friend who is a master woodworker and retired engineer (ME).  He is a master at making jigs. "I'll call Paul in the morning," I told Karen.   
And this is what he made in about 10 minutes.  In the router I have a 1/8th inch strait cut blade.  The jig is about a 1/64th of an inch off-center.  So Two trips with a router one up, one down gives me about 5/32nds of an inch for the grove.

Here's the before and after.  Before the clean up.  Plenty wide for the sail to slide easily.










Sanding with a UN-sharpened pencil riding in the grove rounds everything out nicely.  I started with 100 grit and moved up to 220.  A air blast can cleaned out the groove nicely. Then I applied some of this.
That sail ought to fairly drop of it's on weight when the halyard is released.  Phew, saved by a talented friend!
Thanks Paul, W4KLY.  Did I mention he is a very skilled ham radio operator and sends and receives Morse code like a commercial operator?  My mentor, Paul Kelly, W4KLY, I'm proud to know you and thanks again!


No comments:

Post a Comment