Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Restoration of Embers Watch Begins

One of the first problems we noticed was the separation of a keel scarf joint.  I pretty much new that the keel would have to come off, at least part of it.  So using the Fein Multimaster with a combo wood/metal cutting blade, I separated the 3M 5200 joint and laboriously removed the front 12 feet of the keel.  With an intact scarf it occurred to me that perhaps I could spile an angle from the remaining scarf and transfer that to my DIY scarfing jig.


 Here is my Porter Cable plunge router with a 12x12 inch 1/2 inch place cut from MDO.  The jig rails were cut by my friend Paul Kelley on his huge Delta Unisaw.
A detail of the router plate.  Holes were cut with Forstner bits.  Truss heads were recessed on the drill press using a stopped Forstner bit.

The jointed was then cleaned up with the belt sander.
I mentioned that the original keel was installed with 3M 5200.  I will be using thickened epoxy this time giving close attention the the scarf joint.  I will likely use thin bolts backed on both sides at the scarf joint which will be removed and filled after the fact.  A 1/4 round over bit on the router will smooth the sharp edges and a thickened fillet will provid an inside radius at the bottom panel.  I plan on using a Kevlar strip for abrasion resistance. This will be faired in so that no seems will be visible.  The bottom will be leveled and filled, then repainted.  I plain on establishing a waterline with my laser level and painting the bottom with anti-fouling paint. 
The electric winch has made quick and easy work of turning the boat.  I am thankful for a nice high top shelter and a winch that trolleys from side to side for the heavy lifting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment