Thursday, February 14, 2013

Stuck in Cedar Key, I could do worse!

Greetings from a very soggy and chill
Cedar Key, Florida.  I am holed up in Belle waiting for better weather.  This is the lot of a full time cruiser.  Well anybody in actuality. Sometimes you can pick your weather for a short jaunt. But when your out there full time,  Well, you take what comes and try to remember why cold mornings sponging off with cold water is better than a warm bed at home and a nice warm shower in the morning.  It's my little kingdom like it or not.  I take the good with the bad.


As for transportation, you will remember that I had a mishap with a sharp oyster bed on Tuesday.  Well, I did my best to effect a clean and strong repair--to no avail.  The pressure when inflated, even after waiting twenty-four  hours was just too much and she leaked profusely almost immediately on inflation.
It's always good to have alternate transportation in your back pocket. I knew there was a reason I quipped, "I can't have forgotten anything.  The house is empty."  So out of the port locker of the vee-birth comes my plan "B."  Here is my little 6 foot Mercury dinghy.  I planed to use her with the 2.5 HP Nissan short shaft outboard.  I can't bring myself to get involved with a stinky motor right now so the oars are doing just fine, thank you.  I still need a paddling vehicle because so much of my trip involves exploring via kayak.  So I have a new SeaEagle 380.  It will arrive on Monday and hopefully I will be able to leave Tuesday.  I am getting to be a regular around Cedar Key.  If it weren't so cool and wet, I could get used to it.  The forgotten sail covers arrived today.  Thank you Karen for that.
 So what does a marooned sailor do in his spare time.  Well, today I washed clothes at the conveniently located laundromat located right down town.  I ate lunch at the Pickled Pelican.  Now I am updating the blog and cleaning up the boat.  There's always the library when I finish.
So what do I think about the oyster incident:?  I put the boat at risk by paddling that area especially on a falling tide.  I know how to avoid that in the future.  Believe me, I will.
Tonight I hope to make contact with a ham friend on 40 meters, side-band. The battery is at 12.6 volts so I need to conserve.  Tomorrow, with sun, I should be able to completely recharge.   

No comments:

Post a Comment