Thursday, February 7, 2013

I'm thinking about leaving Saturday.  We'll see.  I have the necessary routes in place on the GPS mapping units.  The Garmin 198C is the primary unit for navigation.  The NMEA 0198 sentencing is "talked" to the autopilot, the VHF for DSC location information,  and the EPIRB emergency location beacon. The same data parallels from the Garmin 78sc as full backup for the main unit.  A large stock of AA batteries can run the 78cs for weeks.
Both the netbook and the laptop are loaded with SeaClear II which is connected to a USB GPS  for moving map and also planning purposes.
I will be posting SPOT location messages on my SPOT share page starting Sunday.  You can access the share page HERE



I realized that the tiller handle had serious varnish deterioration.  So I refinish it with three coats of Sikkens Cetol 
The louvered cabin doors also needed refinishing.  Both of these jobs were done yesterday.  Belle has been pressured washed.  The masts will be lowered and secured tomorrow.  Final packing of clothes and perishable fruits and vegetables will be finished tomorrow.







 A 25 watt VHF amplifier was installed and connected between the Kenwood TH-D72A handheld with built in APRS TNC and the 2 meter/440 MHz antenna. This will provide VHF APRS beaconing of my location while near land.  Offshore, the Yeasu FT-857D HF radio will provide beaconing on the 30 meter band via the TinyTrak 4 GPS position encoder.This combination provides a signal which can reach stations across the US.  Position data is available on the website under my call sign (WB4FGF).
The solar charge management unit continues to show  good voltages and ongoing charge activity.  The house shore-power charger is hooked up to maintain at night and on cloudy days.  It looks like I will be in good shape energy-wise on this trip
When I think of holing up for wet cold days like today, I am thankful for my well stocked library.  My Kindle reader is also stocked with 35 books to read and is currently on charge in its place on the same shelf.



So we shall see if all comes together to leave 4 am Saturday morning.  If not, no particular loss. I can always leave next weekend.  Weekends are the only choice because Karen is riding with me to drive the truck and trailer back.  She has to work.
P.S. We decided tonight:  it's a go.  We're leaving around 3am Saturday.  Friday, the masts come down, the clothes, perishables and computers go in---we're off!

No comments:

Post a Comment