Saturday, November 9, 2013

And off We Go

I'm writing from aboard Belle.  It's been a busy week.  We splashed in on Tuesday thinking I would be on my way at the latest by Thursday. 
I must give my thanks to Jim of Marine Concepts for helping me launch and then parking the truck and trailer.
So I decided to spend a day straitening the cabin and attending to last minute details.  The cabin really was, and still is for that matter a bit of a mess.  I am carrying a very full load with an eye toward staying out as long as my wanderlust will keep me.  Therefore, I have as you might have gleaned already, loaded it to capacity and then some with stuff.  Everything I need to survive on my own for two months at a minimum is aboard.  Last minute items were stacked with the idea of letting them find there place as need and priorities dictate.  So that was Wednesday.
Thursday I took off to explore Anclote Key.  I will post those pictures next.  Meanwhile, having satisfied my need to see what the island had to offer, I anchored just off Anclote at the place I anchored in February.  I had just settled down for a nice afternoon nap when the phone rang.
It was my mortgage banker with a sweat offer to refinance my house for a short term loan under HARP with a ridiculously low interest rate lock-in.  Needless to say, I knew immediately that my plans were to be changed.   After a good nights sleep,  Jim picked me up to take me back to my truck.
After a whirlwind trip up to Stone Mountain I am back at the anchorage. The power of attorney document is executed, thanks to a very responsive closing attorney.  Give or take a 1000 extra miles on the truck, I am back where I started and ready, READY I SAY to shove off in the morning.
 At night, this anchorage is quiet as a mill pond.  Not a voice or a motor disturbs the tranquil water which abuts and feeds into the nuclear power plant.  At intervals water is taken in, then subsequently discharges creating about a 4 knot current.  This can catch the unwary boater by surprise as he or she nonchalantly rushes up to the dock.  It can lead to an unhappy slam when four plus four equals eight knots of approach speed. 
I'll post the pictures from Anclote as soon as possible.  Meanwhile watch me on http://aprs.fi WB4FGF-9

No comments:

Post a Comment