Sunday, November 10, 2013

I Move South--Finally

Today I finally pulled the anchor and set off for parts south.  There was very little wind so I motored at about 6 knots.
I had planed to spend the night at Bunces Pass that borders Mullet Key.  As I made the approach, it was clear that my chances of going aground were good..."brown brown, go aground."  It has silted in badly since I was last there.  Worse yet my approach was at low tide with several hours to wait.
So here I am at Egmont Key in the middle of Tampa Bay.  There is no anchorage, just an area past the pilot boats wharf in about 5 feet of water.  Hope the wind stays down tonight as predicted.
These boats guide the huge cargo ships into the Port of Tampa.

At the other end of the island is a modern lighthouse.  There is a place to come ashore and see the historical sites.  Perhaps I may take some time to do that tomorrow.  For now, I am securing the cabin for my nights sleep.

One of the accomplishments today was to get the APRS and HF radio working.  I simply replaced the coax with a temporary line running over the deck.  Seems like the coax I installed so carefully has a problem.  So the good news is that the Little Tarheel is working well with the new coaxial cable.  Looks like I'll be "playing some radio."  By the way you can follow me on  http://aprs.fi
Search for WB4FGF-9

No comments:

Post a Comment