Friday, November 15, 2013

I'm at the south end of Punto Blanco just down from the Cayo Costa state park docks.  This is a very well protected, quiet and thankfully bug-free anchorage. 
The entrance required do care as the channel is narrow and worse yet, fishing boat was anchored in the middle. 
I put down the hook in six feet of water admiring the beauty of the area and immediately being aware of the rich variety of wildlife all around me. 
I have my own private little beach and access to the island "facilities," where only the gopher snakes, wild pigs and gopher turtles (and lord knows what else).
I got here yesterday afternoon after a pleasant two day stay with Bill Dolan and his wife.  They were most gracious, dockage and  nice bed and shower in there home.  Bill and I seemed to have a lot to talk about.  Most of all the Dolans made me feel welcomed. 
Over the previous two days an infection in my left index finger had rapidly built up a lot of painful pressure under my nail.  A trip to the local walk-in clinic provided me with relief via a drain hole in my nail and a double script for antibiotics.  It certainly looks and feels a lot better.
This morning I awoke to the sound of the phone ringing.  On the other end was Bill Van Dusen saying he would be over to visit by noon.  He also mentioned that a lot of the West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron members were cancelling there plans for this weekend's get-together here at Cayo Costa.  Clearly, the forecast for the weekend is having a dampening effect on attendance.  For the weekend, I will be exploring the area, hiking across the island to the Gulf side and maybe paddling down to the "tunnel of love" to pass through the mangroves to the Gulf side.  I've heard about this for years and never yet experienced the intimacy of this hard-to-find watery cut through. 
Meanwhile, I am enjoying the music and news on Sirius/XM radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment