Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It Doesn't Look Like Much...

This is not a very good picture. But the centerboard trunk is done.  Actually, if I do say so, it looks better than before.  The increase by 4 inches is simply unnoticeable.  I used the stud finder to find the battens which the trunk screws to.  How did I live without this fine instrument all these years?







And the wiring...It may not look like it, but this is as neat as it gets.  All the old stuff that was on the floor is elevated to the bridge deck.  This includes some 6 NMEA talker and listener buss lines going to terminals and various instruments.  For instance.  On the talker line is the autopilot.  The second com port goes to the EPIRB and the VHF radio for digital location. The SeaTalk buss is used to manage the Autopilot from a wireless pendant that I were around my neck.  As an old friend once said, "it's and amazing maze!"

When I started over to get my mast steps welded I found that the brakes were hot from seizing up.  I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow to see what's going on.  I suspect the emergency lock is activated because it looks like the cable is displaced a little.
Then we will get the mast steps welded.
The next big project now that the masts are ready is to prime and paint them.  I'll report exactly how that goes when the paint supplies arrive.
Then the mast tracks will have to be bedded with 3M 5200 and riveted to the mast.  After the mast steps are also painted, I will consider this job mostly done.  Whew, what a lot of work.  However, my staycation has put me way ahead on the summers work.

No comments:

Post a Comment