Friday, June 8, 2012

This is what it looks like all decked out ready to spray the toxic paint known as two-part polyurethane.  I had a tough day getting ready to spray the primer. Learning all the tricks for doing this job right is more than stressful.  After causing several runs I learned the correct setting of the pressure at the gun.  It is about 30 lbs.  Bottom line: better to go skimpy than to wet out to saturation. Here are some other problems I encountered.  I placed the masts too close together so ended up bumping and scraping the finished surface.  Also the masts are oblong.  I should have turned it up vertical so as to get a larger surface area to the fan of the gun.
Now I have the wide sections of the mast lateral. Also I have the masts separated so as to have room enough to work.
Here's what I am using.  Awlgrip D8001 545 Epoxy Primer white base and D3001 545 Epoxy primer converter.  The Awlgrip reducer T0003 is used to reduce the viscosity to 15-18 seconds using a Zahn #2 viscosity cup.  I have a Ford #4 which tables indicate is 10-13 seconds.  Here is a picture of the Ford cup.  I used a stopwatch to measure the time sequentially reducing the thickness and rechecking.













I got a lot of help understanding how to do this job from an expert adviser. Dan Flaherty is a skilled painter and master craftsman retired from owning a very successful marine service business.  He now works in his retirement at Marine Concepts.  The most important advice Dan gave me was:  BE PATIENT.  I agree. Many mistakes happen and quality is affected adversely when anxiety and rushing leads to rushed fumbles and clumsy missteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment