Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What to take on a voyage

I'm sitting here thinking about the anxiety that can arise when one ponders the consequences of forgetting something vital.  Well, nothing is really completely catastrophic.  I once found to my chagrin, that I had forgotten to bring any underwear.  That was on a week long trip across the Florida Panhandle.  Does the term "commando" come to mind?

 To be honest, over the years I have mostly been exasperated by the excess junk I have brought along.  I really believe too much is almost worse than not enough.  It really helps to have some time to think it over.  A list is a good idea too.  Karen is the list maker, so we are cataloging everything that goes on to Belle and then everything that comes off.  Notes are being made along the way about what works and what doesn't.  Talking about it helps too. Today I was talking to my friend Jim at Marine Concepts and he offhandedly mentioned someone needing to use a sail palm and needle. Note to self: find the sewing kit I have hidden away and take it on this trip.  A handy list needs to be added to when the thought arises. You know how it is with us older folks--out of sight, out of mind.  I hope someone can get something out of my notes on this blog. I must admit; I love other peoples lists. Ron Hoddenott wrote an article for Small Craft Adviser about how to camp in a SeaPearl 21. I have that list and have added to it, and other peoples lists, shaping a well thought out plan for various time spans aboard.  Karen puts these on Excel so we can modify as needed.

Actually, planning can be almost as much fun as actually doing the trip.  I feel pretty comfortable with my packing so far.  Booms and sails, check.  Main and mizzen sheets, check.  Boom pins, check.  Bailing and washing buckets, check. Well, you get the idea.  You'll know as well as I will how it turns out, because this blog is my journal and log.  Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment